Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng has confirmed that the 18% reduction on toll rates on PLUS-operated highways will go into effect from 1 February 2020.
The reduction in toll rates will affect all highways operated by PLUS, namely:
- North-South Expressway (NSE)
- New Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE)
- North-South Expressway Central Link (ELITE)
- Malaysia-Singapore Second Link (LINKEDUA)
- East Coast Expressway Phase 2 (LPT2)
- Seremban-Port Dickson Highway (SPDH)
- Butterworth-Kulim Expressway (BKE)
- Penang Bridge
The change in prices will currently affect all passenger vehicles, buses, and taxis. According to Lim, the toll rates for commercial vehicles will remain unchanged until the end of the concession in 2058.
Based on the revised toll rates, both the government and highway users will enjoy savings of RM1.1 billion in 2020 alone, and RM42 billion in total throughout the concession period.
The move to reduce PLUS highway toll rates is the first step towards abolishing tolls in stages in the country, as part of the Pakatan Harapan manifesto.