14th November 2022 - 3 min read
Rapid Rail Sdn Bhd has announced that it will be offering seven days of free rides to commuters on the Kelana Jaya LRT line as compensation, following its reopening today after being suspended abruptly for a short period since early last week.
In a notice, Rapid Rail – who operates the LRT, MRT, and monorail services in Klang Valley – explained that the free rides will be provided to commuters with the following approach:
|Commuters using the My50 pass||– Commuters to receive fares for seven extra days upon renewal of their My50 pass |
– Pass renewal can be done between 21 November to 20 December 2022, at the customer service counter of any LRT, MRT, monorail, and BRT stations
– If your My50 pass is expiring between 14 to 20 November 2022, you can continue using your pass as usual without any charge, as long as you still have a minimum balance of RM5 in your card
|Commuters using Touch ‘n Go (TNG) card||– Commuters can tap in using their TNG card without any charges between 14 to 20 November 2022, as long as their cards still have a minimum balance of RM5 |
– Your journey must start and end at any stations in the Kelana Jaya LRT line
|Commuters using tokens||– Commuters can ride for free between 14 to 20 November 2022 |
– Commuters can obtain their one-way token at the customer service counter of any LRT, MRT, monorail, and BRT stations
– The journey must start and end at any stations in the Kelana Jaya LRT line
The company further said that even though the Kelana Jaya LRT service was suspended only for five days, commuters will be compensated with free fares for seven days as a token of gratitude for the public’s understanding.
The president and chief executive officer of Prasarana Malaysia Berhad, Mohd Azharuddin Mat Sah also took the opportunity to thank all parties who have stepped up to assist affected commuters during the ordeal. These included Smart Selangor, MARA Liner, Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur, and all other Malaysians.
“Prasarana and Rapid Rail again apologise to all Malaysians affected by the disruption of the LRT services on the Kelana Jaya line. All efforts will be taken to ensure such disruptions do not recur,” Mohd Azharuddin further said.
On 8 November 2022, Rapid Rail announced that it was suspending the LRT service at 16 stations along the Kelana Jaya line for a week (between 9 – 15 November), starting from the Kelana Jaya station to the Ampang Park station. This is as the train signalling system had been found to be unstable. On 13 November, however, Rapid Rail said that it was able to resolve the malfunction sooner than expected, and as such, can resume its Kelana Jaya LRT line service immediately the next day.
(Source: Rapid Rail)
Subscribe to our exclusive weekly newsletter and we’ll bring you the week’s highlights of financial news, expert tips, guides, and the latest credit card and e-wallet deals.
Stay tuned for what’s to come next in the personal finance world