PM: EPF Members Lack Sufficient Savings For Another Round Of Special Withdrawals
Author Avatar
(Image: The Malaysian Reserve)

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has commented that the government will need to deliberate on the immediate predicament of Employees Provident Fund (EPF) contributors, and their future survival before deciding if another round of special withdrawals should be allowed. This is as many contributors already have limited EPF savings as of now for their retirement.

“Too little… I’ve checked the amount of savings and for a majority of contributors, it is too small, and I am very concerned about their future,” said Datuk Seri Anwar, who is also the Finance Minister. He added that allowing another round of withdrawals will jeopardise the future of these contributors.

As such, Datuk Seri Anwar said that it would be better for the government to keep looking for other alternatives to assist these individuals in need instead. However, he did not share examples of such options as of yet.

(Image: Bernama)

Datuk Seri Anwar’s comment was made in response to recent calls by several groups that urged the government to consider allowing another round of one-off EPF withdrawals. These included Pertubuhan Aktivis Rakyat Malaysia (ProRakyat), which submitted a memorandum to the government to approve another round of EPF special withdrawals of up to RM30,000.

Prior to this, the government had already rolled out a total of four EPF special withdrawal facilities to assist individuals who struggled financially during the Covid-19 pandemic, namely the i-Lestari, i-Sinar, i-Citra, and a final RM10,000 withdrawal. However, this caused the EPF savings of many contributors to dip to worrying levels.

Specifically, it was revealed that as of June 2022, 52% of the total 12.78 million EPF members aged under 55 had savings of less than RM10,000. Meanwhile, the cumulative impact of these programmes on members’ savings is estimated at RM155 billion.

(Source: The Edge Markets, New Straits Times)

0 0 votes
Article Rating
SHARE

Comments (1)

Subscribe
Notify of

1 Comment
James Wong
3 years ago

Yes, it will be burdensome for EPF to liquidised 100s of RM billions for general withdrawal under ProRakyat. However, Govt may consider seriously to help the smaller grouping of targeted (bersasar) who are in dire (teruk) situation under PGIR. May DSAI, at least, under his executive premiership’s first kwsp withdrawal, give a priority helping hand to this smaller group of truly needy citizens.
I am James.
#kwspbersasar

Most Viewed Articles
Post Image
Retirement Planning
Petrol Price Malaysia Live Updates (RON95, RON97 & Diesel)
RinggitPlus
- 12th August 2026
We provide weekly updates on every Friday at 5pm on the prices of RON95, RON97 and Diesel in Malaysia and a chart that shows the movement of fuel prices across a 6-week period. Bookmark this page now!
Post Image
Retirement Planning
Government Offers RM200 Rebate On Selected Air Conditioners And Refrigerators
Christina Chandra
- 3rd July 2026
From 1 July 2026, eligible households can get a RM200 rebate on selected energy-efficient models under the government’s […]
Post Image
Retirement Planning
Diesel Subsidy Now Open To More Land Transport Vehicles
Iman Aminuddin
- 25th May 2026
The government has expanded eligibility under the Subsidised Diesel Control System (SKDS) to include jeeps and pickup trucks […]
Post Image
Retirement Planning
Google AI Ultra Gets A Lower Starting Price
Iman Aminuddin
- 22nd May 2026
Following announcements made during Google I/O 2026, Google has restructured its AI subscription lineup by introducing a new […]

Related articles

Related Posts Image
Related Posts Image
Related Posts Image
Related Posts Image